Check in Schedule
Camp sessions open at 1 PM Sunday. Units must not arrive before this time since staff will be preparing to receive them. All units should plan to be at camp no later than 2 PM. Charter buses will leave for the return trip at approximately 10AM Saturday. A designated leader from each unit is required to check out with the appropriate MaKaJaWan staff to “close out” your file. You can schedule a time during the week, but you must check out before 10AM on Saturday.
Sunday – Your First Day at Camp
An important step for a successful stay at camp is the first day. Units are encouraged to arrive as a unit. Meeting your Camp Commissioner and guide as soon as possible will be very helpful. A typical first day is outlined below:
- Upon Arrival: Leaders and Scouts arriving by private transportation will check in at the Welcome Center, who will direct you to East or West Camp. You will then meet your staff guide. Your guide will assist you with settling in to your campsite. Units arriving by council bus will meet their guide upon arrival and will then proceed directly to their campsite. Adult leaders with Scouts on the bus must arrive before the bus but not before 1 PM.
- 1-5 PM: At the campsite, your guide will advise you of meal times, the weekly schedule and other important information. The guide will then lead the unit to the waterfront for medication turn-in, medical rechecks, and swim checks. Make sure the BSA Medical form is on file for each person. A three-ring binder for medical and prescription medication forms is recommended.
- 5:50 PM: Retreat: All Scouts must be in full uniform. All units will assemble at the camp flagpole for the retiring of the colors. All waiters (two for every 10 Scouts) will report to the dining hall at 5:30.
- 6:00 PM: After the retreat ceremony, the units will proceed directly to the dining hall for dinner.
- 7 PM: Leader’s Meeting. Unit leaders and Senior Patrol Leaders will attend this informal meeting outside the Dining Hall to discuss the week with key staff members.
- 7 PM: Cook’s Tour: This is the unit’s first real look at the camp. Tours are made of the program areas where program and safety rules are discussed. It’s important that everyone attend this tour (except for the leaders attending the leader’s orientation.)
- 8:45 PM: Campfire. This will be followed by quick messages and an opportunity to visit the Trading Post
- 10 PM: Lights Out