We offer tent (bring your own), small RV, and small pop-up trailer sites in Wabaningo during the summer, for families of Scouts and Adult Leaders attending our summer camp program. Wabaningo is a 5 minute drive away from most camp facilities; it has showers and bathrooms within walking distance of the sites, and there are covered picnic tables in and around the Pavilion, for cooking and eating.
Overnight guests must turn in the appropriate BSA Health Form at the Health Lodge upon arrival. See “Strategy for a Successful Guest Camping Stay” below. Please read our complete list of Visitor Policies before planning your visit.
Cost: $5 per person, per night
Small RV & Pop-up Trailer Sites
If tent camping isn’t for you, but you still want to “rough it” as an overnight guest, we have two sites available for your small RV or pop-up trailer.
- Cost: $7 per person, per night
- Limited Electrical hook-up; Cost: $20 additional per night (so $27/night with one person, $34/night with two people, etc.)
How to Make A Reservation
- From now through June 11th (9AM), you could have completed the Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan Guest Camping Form. This form has been deactivated for the rest of the summer.
- From June 15th through the last Saturday in July: Contact Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan’s Welcome Center directly at 715-484-2346 and they’ll be happy to make a reservation for you. Please do not wait until August 3rd (or 4th), to let us know you want to camp the last weekend. Thank you in advance for your consideration.
If you choose to dine in our dining halls, you must purchase meal tickets at the Welcome Center. Pricing for meals is as follows:
Full Day (save $2), $16
Other Meal Options: If you’re taking time to see the sights outside of camp, there is a fantastic selection of affordable, locally-owned restaurants (scroll to the bottom of the linked page for details) within a 10-minute drive. A 30-minute drive to the nearby town of Antigo gives you even more dining options.
Strategy for a Successful Guest camping Stay
- Make a Reservation in Advance: Follow the instructions above to do so. When you make your reservation let us know your estimated arrival/departure times so we can serve you better. Camp guests can only stay overnight in Wabaningo, and only if prior reservations have been made and space is available.
- What to Pack: Make sure you bring bedding (sleeping bag, etc.), toiletries, rain gear, warm clothing (it can get chilly, especially at night), swim suits, insect repellant, sunscreen, etc.
- BSA Annual Health Form. If you stay overnight but camp for less than 72 hours, complete Parts A and B. If you stay for 72 hours or more, complete Parts A, B, and C (a physical is required). Turn them in at the Health Lodge, after checking in at the Welcome Center (it’s next door).
- Helpful Hint: If small children are part of your family, sand and water toys would be appropriate.
- Check-in: When you arrive at camp, stop by the Welcome Center (the building with the Totem Pole outside) and check in. Check-in time is 2pm. You can pay for your stay here with cash, check, or most major credit cards.
- “Leave No Trace”: Please make sure you leave your campsite cleaner than you found it before checking out at the Welcome Center.
- Check-out: Please check out by 10:30am. If you need to stay longer, notify the camp staff at the Welcome Center.
- The Welcome Center: Our camp staff is in charge of making sure your Guest Camping stay is enjoyable—feel free to stop by with any questions or concerns. We’re open until 5pm most days.
- Cancellations: If you find that you must cancel your reservation, notify the council office or campground as soon as possible. Depending on the circumstances, refunds are possible, but are not guaranteed.
MA-KA-JA-WAN OFF-SEASON CAMPING
Cabin camping is available during the long weekends in January and February (MLK, Jr. & Presidents’ Day weekends). The cost is $70 per cabin, per night. They fit 6-7 people; a minimum 2 Adult Leaders are required for each, as per YPT. Contact Debi, the council Camping and Program Assistant if you are interested. Email: email@example.com; Direct Phone: 847-748-9161.