Costs & Fees
Traditional Camping at Ma-Ka-Ka-Wan Scout Reservation
Coordinating payments and finances for a trip to summer camp can be a challenging job, but the Northeast Illinois Council and Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan Camp Staff strive to make it as easy and painless as possible for everyone. Here’s what you need to know:
For Scouts, Parents, and Unit Leaders
- Most Troops and Crews have a “summer camp contact” for Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan. Contact them, to find out what your Unit’s payment deadlines are. They will be earlier than the “council” deadlines listed. Contact your Scoutmaster or Crew Advisor if you do not know your “camp contact” information.
- Families will submit all payments to their Scout’s Unit, who will settle up with us (only exception is Provisional Camp).
- The Unit’s “camp contact” will complete the online registration for their week (or weeks) of Traditional Camp.
- The online registration for 2018 Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan Scout Reservation (MSR) Traditional Camp opens January 2, 2018.
IMPORTANT: These are our Council’s registration and payment deadlines listed below. Your troop or crew’s deadlines will (need to) be earlier.
2018 REGISTRATION INFORMATION
- January 2: Registration opens. The (per) Scout deposit is $125, and the (per) Adult deposit is $0, for each week attending. See deadlines below.
- May 1 (11:59 pm): $325 Early Bird Scout Fee ends (lower than 2017) ends and $350 Regular Scout Fee begins, so get them registered and paid online by then. Because of the lower Early Bird Fee, all Scouts pay the same amount, no matter how long they have been with the Troop.
- May 2 (12:00 am): The full amount is now due for all Scouts ($350) and Adults ($180, if not free) you register online.
- June 1 (11:59 pm): Registration closes for all 6 weeks of camp.
FULL-TIME ADULTS: TWO REGISTRANT TYPES. See ratio information below.
- Free Adult – $0 per week
- Adult – $180 per week
- Your Free Leader/Scout Ratio will be automatically calculated online as you register your Troop for the Traditional Camp (Merit Badge) program. You will no longer have two Adult registrant types to choose from, and you won’t have to figure it out (if he or she is free, or not) before registering them. The system will do it for you!
FULL-TIME ADULT LEADER/SCOUT RATIO, PER WEEK
- 1 Free Adult for 1 to 10 Scouts
- 2 Free Adults for 11 to 20 Scouts
- 3 Free Adults for 21 to 30 Scouts
- 4 Free Adults for 31 to 40 Scouts
- 5 Free Adults for 41 to 50 Scouts
- 6 Free Adults for 51 or more Scouts
PART-TIME ADULT LEADERS: Their $30 daily fee is paid at camp only. They cannot be counted as “Free Adults”.
- High Adventure Trek is a completely separate program and registration, and their Scout and Adult fees include staying in Wabaningo before and after their trek. So, these scouts will not (cannot) be counted in your Adult Leader/Scout ratio.
- Part-time Adult Leaders cannot be Free Adults. They pay the $30 daily fees, and only at camp. Do NOT register them online, or you will have to pay $180 for each of them, no matter how long they are in camp.
Merit Badge Fees
Some merit badges have additional costs for materials or other considerations. For these, we use a ticket system—each badge requires a certain number of tickets and scouts/leaders buy tickets at the Trading Posts and the Country Store. Our (2017) listing of Merit Badges shows you what each badge costs (check these right before you leave for camp—sometimes prices change).
Council Provided Bus Information and Fees
Registration and fee information available soon.
Check out the Provisional Camping Page for more information.
Other Program Fees
There are other programs in camp that may cost money. Troops should take these into consideration when planning out the finances for their week at camp: