Porcupine Mountain Backpacking
Enjoy a backpacking trip in the famous Porcupine Mountain State Wilderness Area of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. Hike in one of the few remaining large wilderness areas of the Midwest. Towering pines, firs, and birches along the shores of Lake Superior provide the setting for trails leading to secluded lakes, wild rivers, hills, and waterfalls. The “Porkies” offer a mixture of terrain from the barren top of the Escarpment to the wetlands created by beaver dams to the lowland hemlock groves. Perennial favorites include hiking along the top of the Escarpment, eating dinner on the shore of Lake Superior, climbing the observation tower atop Summit Peak for views of the entire preserve, and camping at Lake of the Clouds. The Porcupine mountains offer a wide array of options and can provide challenges for first-time backpackers and experienced crews alike. Treks range in length from 20 to 50 miles depending on the desires of the crew. Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan will provide you with equipment, food, and an experienced guide for this spectacular trip.
Group Size Limit: The capacity limit per group in a campsite is 6. During the day, up to 11 (from your unit, plus our guide) are allowed to hike together and gather for meals. Campsites need to be a minimum ¼ mile apart. We will send 1 trek leader with you, who can help cover the 2-deep leadership requirement for 1 campsite. If a 2nd site is required, your troop or crew must provide 3 Adults, total.
$425 Total Fee
– $125 Non-refundable Deposit. Registration must be completed & deposit paid by May 1, 2019 (11:59 PM online)
= $300 Balance Due by June 10, 2019 (11:59 PM online). Registration closes.
NEW WAY TO REGISTER
- Complete and return the trek form to the council office with your $50 fee.
- Once confirmed by trek staff, you will be emailed the link to the event page and pass code.
- Choose Unit Trek on the main event page.
- Tell us how many Youth and Adults for the Flambeau trek, using the pass code.
- Registration Contact tab-Fill in missing information, including the date your unit will arrive in camp.
- Attendees tab-Provide names and gender of Youth and Adults.
- Checkout tab-Must complete all steps for this tab, even if you have time to mail in your payment.
Choose from one of these arrival dates: Sunday June 16th, June 23rd, June 30th, July 7th, July 14th, July 21st, July 28th, and August 4th.