Lake Superior Sailing
Lake Superior Sailing: Crew a skippered sailing yacht through the protected waters around the Apostle Islands. Crystal clear water as much as 100 feet deep carries you between the 22 islands that make up this National Lakeshore often called the “Caribbean of the North”. Your route can take you to remote sandy beaches or along rugged shorelines littered with caves & sandstone bluffs. We encourage you to explore the islands, visit a historic lighthouse, and attend an interpretive program put on by the park rangers. Accommodations provided on board are overnight cabins, heads, and cooking facilities. You’re never more than two miles from shore, and each craft is motorized so you can seek a safe harbor in case of inclement weather. Group size is 6 per boat (share 3 rooms): 4 Scouts and 2 Adult Leaders. Your unit must provide 2-deep Adult Leadership. There is a captain on each boat (with his own quarters), but he/she cannot count as 1 of your required adult leaders, and we do not send camp staff.
Certification Requirements, as per National BSA Policy: ALL high adventure treks must have at least one adult with current Wilderness First Aid (WFA) and CPR certifications. The troop or crew must fulfill this requirement for sailing and kayaking treks. For all other treks, Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan Scout Reservation provides guides with these certifications.
LAKE SUPERIOR SAILING TREK FEE STRUCTURE
- A $1,000 non-refundable deposit is due for each six-person sailboat, at the time of registration.
- All sailing treks are 4-days, only.
- There is no “per-person” fee, so refunds will NOT be given for individuals who cancel.
- Each 39-foot sailboat fee is $4,590
- Your unit must provide 2 Adult Leaders for each sailboat (the captain we hire doesn’t count). We do NOT send trek staff on sailing or kayaking treks.
$4,590 for each 6-man 39 foot sailboat. The cost for 6 participants is $765 each.
– $1,000 Non-refundable deposit must be paid for each sailboat at the time of registration, and is due by May 1, 2019 (11:59 PM online).
= $3,590 Balance (per sailboat) Due by June 10, 2019 (11:59 PM online). Registration Closes.
NEW WAY TO REGISTER
- Complete and return the trek form to the council office with your $50 fee.
- Once confirmed by trek staff, you will be emailed the link to the event page and pass code.
- Choose Unit Trek on the main event page.
- Tell us how many Youth and Adults for the Flambeau trek, using the pass code.
- Registration Contact tab-Fill in missing information, including the date your unit will arrive in camp.
- Attendees tab-Provide names and gender of Youth and Adults.
- Checkout tab-Must complete all steps for this tab, even if you have time to mail in your payment.
Choose from one of these arrival dates: Sunday June 16th, June 23rd, June 30th, July 7th, July 14th, July 21st, July 28th, and August 4th.
Note: You will spend Sunday night at camp and depart for the harbor on Monday.