Apostle Islands Kayaking
Apostle Islands Kayaking is rapidly turning into one of our most popular treks. Rich in sea caves, lighthouses, and spectacular shores, the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore (near Bayfield, Wisconsin) is a sea kayaker’s dream. You’ll be led by an experienced guide into a pristine collection of islands and shorelines, featuring stunning geological formations – caverns, arches, and pillars – all uniquely accessible by kayakers. Carry your gear in your kayaks while you explore the deep blue waters of Lake Superior, then bed down under the big night sky on the sandy beaches of Gitche Gumee (Ojibwe for Lake Superior).
Minimum Age: Participants must be at least 14 years old, or at least 13 years AND completed 8th grade. No exceptions. Anyone 21 years old before the conclusion of the trek must register as an adult.
Group sizes: A group of 6 is recommended, but up to 12 be accommodated. Your unit must provide 2-deep Adult Leadership for each sub-group (campsite, etc.). We do not send camp staff on kayaking treks; you will have one guide from the kayaking out-rigger, but he/she does not count as 1 of your required adults.
Certification Requirements, as per National BSA Policy: ALL high adventure treks must have at least one adult with current Wilderness First Aid (WFA) and CPR certifications. The troop or crew must fulfill this requirement for sailing and kayaking treks. For all other treks, Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan Scout Reservation provides guides with these certifications.
$690 Total Fee
– $125 Non-refundable Deposit. Registration must be completed & deposit paid by May 1, 2019 (11:59 PM online)
= $565 Balance Due by June 10, 2019 (11:59 PM online). Registration Closes.
NEW WAY TO REGISTER
- Complete and return the trek form to the council office with your $50 fee.
- Once confirmed by trek staff, you will be emailed the link to the event page and pass code.
- Choose Unit Trek on the main event page.
- Tell us how many Youth and Adults for the Flambeau trek, using the pass code.
- Registration Contact tab-Fill in missing information, including the date your unit will arrive in camp.
- Attendees tab-Provide names and gender of Youth and Adults.
- Checkout tab-Must complete all steps for this tab, even if you have time to mail in your payment.
Choose from one of these arrival dates: Sunday June 16th, June 23rd, June 30th, July 7th, July 14th, July 21st, July 28th, and August 4th.