Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan Scout Reservation’s High Adventure Base will offer eleven different adventures in 2016, for your troop or crew. Whether you are interested in taking in the vistas on foot at one of our four backpacking destinations, paddling through the cool water on our kayaking or canoe treks, or relaxing on sailboats in Lake Superior, there is sure to be a trek for you! We’re even adding a cycling trek, so you can traverse the beautiful countryside of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula! If you don’t see a trek that you like, contact the camp staff about a custom itinerary.
We offer both in-camp day trips (that are designed to compliment your stay at Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan) or adventures outside of the regular camp program. We are proud to be a Nationally Accredited High Adventure Base.
NEW for 2016 is the Northwoods Explorer, a camp-based High Adventure program! More details are coming soon!
IN-CAMP High ADVENTURES
Use MyKaJaWan to let us know about your interest in any or all of these in-camp High Adventures:
- Whitewater Rafting – Spend the day rafting down the wild Wolf River!
- Horse Ranch – One of the only camp-run Ranches in the Midwest.
- Climbing Wall – Climb Mt. Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan!
- Zip Line – Zoom through the trees on our twin-line 550-foot zip!
For in-camp high-adventures, your Troop or Crew pays at the Welcome Center prior to the date of your outing.
multi-Day HIGH ADVENTURE TREK PROGRAMS
|Trip||Total Fee (per person)||Deposit Amount||Deposit Due By Date||Notes (all balances due by May 23rd)|
|Apostle Islands Kayaking||$630||$100||February 18|
|Boundary Waters Canoeing||$545||$100||February 18||Nine Total Days needed for this trek!|
|Isle Royale Backpacking||$520||$100||February 18|
|Flambeau Flowage Canoeing||$390||$75||March 18|
|Ice Age Trail Backpacking||$330||$75||March 18|
|Lake Superior Sailing||$550||$100||March 18||3 Day Trip|
|Lake Superior Sailing||$590||$100||March 18||4 day Trip|
|Manitowish River Canoeing||$390||$75||March 18|
|Porcupine Mountain Wilderness Area Backpacking||$390||$75||March 18|
|Upper Peninsula Cycling||Will be offered starting in 2016. Approximately $400||Deposit Amount (per person) & Deadline TBA||4 or 5 day trip.|
|Wisconsin Headwaters Canoeing||$415||$75||March 18|
COST OF EACH Trek
- The treks offered away from camp are listed above, along with their fees.
- Adults receive the exact same programs, supplies, etc., so they pay the same fees.
TREK FEES COVER AND PROVIDE
- Your Unit’s licenses and permits
- Pre-trek skill training
- Gear shakedown at camp
- Each participant’s meals and tent space in Wabaningo (at camp) before and after the trek
- Each participant’s food, equipment, and supplies during the trek
- Transport of food and supplies to your starting point (and back to camp)
Trek rEGISTRATION INFORMATION
- January 4th, 2016 – MSR High Adventure Trek online registration opens
- Your troop or crew’s “Trek Contact” will complete the online registration. The link will be included here when fees for the last few treks are finalized in January.
- Your troop or crew’s “Trek Contact” will need to pay at that time. Contact Debi first, to make offline payments.
- February 18th Deposit Deadline –Apostle Islands, Boundary Waters, and Isle Royale
- March 18th Deposit Deadline –Flambeau River, Ice Age Trail, Manitowish River, Lake Superior, Porcupine Mountains, and WI River Headwaters
- May 23rd is the final Registration and Payment deadline for all treks.
- Any and all changes to your registration will be made through your “Unit Page”.
- Only Units can register for this program (not individual Scouts). There is no “provisional trek” provided at this time.
- Contact Debi for a “refresher course”, or if this is your 1st year as the Trek contact person. She will set up a time when you can both be in front of a computer, so she can walk you through the process.
High Adventure Director
Camping & Program Assistant
Running our high-quality High Adventure program requires a constant supply of new supplies and equipment. Check out our needs list and to see how you can help. If you are interested in volunteer opportunities with any of the High Adventure programs, please contact Barrett Wood.