Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan Scout Reservation’s High Adventure Base will offer eleven different adventures in 2016, for your troop or crew. Whether you are interested in taking in the vistas on foot at one of our four backpacking destinations, paddling through the cool water on our kayaking or canoe treks, or relaxing on sailboats in Lake Superior, there is sure to be a trek for you! We’re even adding a cycling trek, so you can traverse the beautiful countryside of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula! If you don’t see a trek that you like, contact the camp staff about a custom itinerary.
We offer both in-camp day trips (that are designed to compliment your stay at Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan) or adventures outside of the regular camp program. We are proud to be a Nationally Accredited High Adventure Base.
IN-CAMP High ADVENTURES
Sign up for all of these opportunities at Welcome Center when your troop is at camp.
- Whitewater Rafting – Spend the day rafting down the wild Wolf River!
- Horse Ranch – One of the only camp-run Ranches in the Midwest.
- Climbing Wall – Climb Mt. Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan! New climbing tower built this year!
- Zip Line – Zoom through the trees on our twin-line 550-foot zip!
- Cycling Base – Ride the trails and learn the basics of mountain biking!
Mountain bikes have arrived! Our brand new mountain biking program is opening this summer. Cycling merit badge is offered during A block and C block. Trail rides are available during B block and D block.
For in-camp high-adventures, your Troop or Crew pays at the Welcome Center prior to the date of your outing.
multi-Day HIGH ADVENTURE TREK PROGRAMS
|Trip||Total Fee (per person)||Deposit Amount||Deposit Due By Date||Notes|
|Apostle Islands Kayaking||$630*||$100||February 18|
|Boundary Waters Canoeing||$545*||$100||February 18||Nine Total Days needed for this trek|
|Isle Royale Backpacking||$520*||$100||February 18|
|Flambeau River/Flowage Canoeing||$390*||$75||March 18|
|Ice Age Trail Backpacking||$330*||$75||March 18|
|Lake Superior Sailing||$550*||$100||March 18||3 Day Trip|
|Lake Superior Sailing||$590*||$100||March 18||4 day Trip|
|Manitowish River Canoeing||$390*||$75||March 18|
|Porcupine Mountain Wilderness Area Backpacking||$390*||$75||March 18|
|Upper Peninsula Cycling||Approximately $400||TBA||TBA||4 or 5 day trip.|
|Headwaters of the Wisconsin River Canoeing||$415*||$75||March 18|
*All balances are due by May 23rd.
COST OF EACH Trek
- The treks offered away from camp are listed above, along with their fees.
- Adults receive the exact same programs, supplies, etc., so they pay the same fees.
TREK FEES COVER AND PROVIDE
- Your Unit’s licenses and permits
- Pre-trek skill training
- Gear shakedown at camp
- Each participant’s meals and tent space in Wabaningo (at camp) before and after the trek
- Each participant’s food, equipment, and supplies during the trek
- Transport of food and supplies to your starting point (and back to camp)
Trek rEGISTRATION INFORMATION
- January 4th, 2016 – MSR High Adventure Trek online registration opened. NOTE: This “event” is for June 26-August 6, 2016. You will be asked for your trek’s week number as you register your contingent (Troop or Crew).
- Your troop or crew’s “Trek Contact” will complete the online registration. The link will be included here when fees for the last few treks are finalized in January.
- Your troop or crew’s “Trek Contact” will need to pay at that time. Contact Debi first, to make offline payments.
- February 18th Deposit Deadline –Apostle Islands, Boundary Waters, and Isle Royale
- March 18th Deposit Deadline –Flambeau River, Ice Age Trail, Manitowish River, Lake Superior, Porcupine Mountains, and WI River Headwaters
- May 23rd is the final Registration and Payment deadline for all treks.
- Any and all changes to your registration will be made through your “Unit Page”.
- Only Units can register for this program (not individual Scouts). There is no “provisional trek” provided at this time.
- Contact Debi for a refresher course, or if this is your 1st year as the Trek contact person. She will set up a time when you can both be in front of a computer, so she can walk you through the process.
NOTE: The deposit deadlines have passed, so you can no longer register for a High Adventure Trek through the website. See below for contact information,
- If you have questions about the treks being offered, trek policies, length of treks, etc., contact Adventure.MaKaJaWan@gmail.com
- You can also contact Jim Neubaum, our Council Outdoor Program Director.
- If you still want to register for a trek, and permission to do so is confirmed by Barrett, Jim, or Brian, contact Debi. Once she verifies all trek info (with you and the camp staff), she can get started. Be aware, payments (participant deposits, at least) must be made quickly to confirm your trek, and to begin the registration process.
One of our High Adventure Staff will respond to your questions depending on the type of trek information requested.
High Adventure Director
Camping & Program Assistant
Email: email@example.com; Phone: 847-748-9161
Running our high-quality High Adventure program requires a constant supply of new supplies and equipment. Check out our needs list and to see how you can help. If you are interested in volunteer opportunities with any of the High Adventure programs, please contact Barrett Wood.