Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan Scout Reservation’s High Adventure Base will offer eleven different adventures in 2017, for your troop or crew. Whether you are interested in taking in the vistas on foot at one of our four backpacking destinations, paddling through the cool water on our kayaking or canoe treks, or relaxing on sailboats in Lake Superior, there is sure to be a trek for you! We’re even adding a cycling trek, so you can traverse the beautiful countryside of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula! If you don’t see a trek that you like, contact the camp staff about a custom itinerary.
We offer both in-camp day trips (that are designed to compliment your stay at Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan) or adventures outside of the regular camp program. We are proud to be a Nationally Accredited High Adventure Base.
IN-CAMP High ADVENTURES
Sign up for all of these opportunities at Welcome Center when your troop is at camp.
- Whitewater Rafting – Spend the day rafting down the wild Wolf River!
- Horse Ranch – One of the only camp-run Ranches in the Midwest.
- Climbing Wall – Climb Mt. Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan! New climbing tower built this year!
- Zip Line – Zoom through the trees on our twin-line 550-foot zip!
- Cycling Base – Ride the trails and learn the basics of mountain biking!
Mountain bikes have arrived! Our brand new mountain biking program is opening this summer. Cycling merit badge is offered during A block and C block. Trail rides are available during B block and D block.
For in-camp high-adventures, your Troop or Crew pays at the Welcome Center prior to the date of your outing.
multi-Day HIGH ADVENTURE TREK PROGRAMS
Trek rEGISTRATION INFORMATION
DEPOSITS: The non-refundable deposit amount for most treks is $125 per participant. Exception: The sailing trek is now a “per boat” registration. The non-refundable amount is $1,000 per boat. See the sailing trek page for more details.
DETAILS: Go to each trek’s page for trek details, including specific requirements.
REGISTRATION LINK: http://www.neic.org/Event.aspx?id=3028. IMPORTANT: This link will take you to the main trek registration page. You will see it is for all treks, and for June 25-August 5 (all 6 weeks of camp). But, as you complete the registration, you will be asked for your specific Week #…It is required to complete the registration, so know when you want to take your trek before beginning your registration. If you have a “number of days” option, you must also provide your choice when registering.
February 20TH (1159PM): Trek registrations close for Apostle Islands, Boundary Waters, and Isle Royale. These 3 treks fill up quickly, so to ensure you are able to participate, we have set this earlier deadline.
April 3RD (11:59PM): Trek registrations close for the remaining Treks (see below)
April 4-June 12 (11:59PM), instead of June 5: Pre-approval from the council and trek staff must be received to add participants, or begin a registration. Details about registration and payments will be provided by the council office, if approved.
June 12TH (11:59PM), instead of June 5: Payment for all invoices is due, no matter the summer camp program.
- Apostle Islands Kayaking – $655; 5 Day Trip Only
- Boundary Waters Canoeing – $570; Takes 9 days, so plan accordingly
- Isle Royale Backpacking – $550; 5 Day Trip Only
- Flambeau River/Flowage Canoeing – $425, 3 or 4 Day Trip
- Ice Age Trail Backpacking – $350; 3, 4, or 5 Day Trip
- Lake Superior Sailing – See note below; 4 Day Trip Only
- Manitowish River Canoeing – $425; 3, 4, or 5 Day Trip
- Porcupine Mountain Wilderness Area Backpacking – $425; 3, 4, or 5 Day Trip
- WI River Headwaters Canoeing – $450; 5 or 6 Day Trip; Recommended for intermediate-level groups, not beginners
LAKE SUPERIOR SAILING TREK: $1,000 non-refundable deposit for each 6-man sailboat due when registering. Total: $4,200 for 36ft ($700 each for 6-man crew) or $4,500 for 39ft ($750 each for 6-man crew).
COST OF EACH Trek
- The treks offered away from camp are listed above.
- Adults receive the exact same programs, supplies, etc., so they pay the same fees.
- ALL deposits are non-refundable.
- Part or all of the remaining payments may be forfeited, depending upon the circumstances and date of the cancellation, but no refunds if cancelled less than 30 days before the trek (except for medical emergencies).
TREK FEES COVER AND PROVIDE
- Your Unit’s licenses and permits
- Gear shakedown at camp
- Food and tent space at camp before/after trek
- Food, equipment, and supplies during the trek
- Camping fees, vehicle passes, ferry passage (as needed)
- Transport of food, supplies, guide, canoe trailer (as needed)
- If you have questions about the treks being offered, trek policies, length of treks, etc., contact Adventure.MaKaJaWan@gmail.com
- You can also contact Quinn Ryan, our Council Outdoor Program Director.
One of our High Adventure Staff will respond to your questions depending on the type of trek information requested.
High Adventure Director
Council Outdoor Program Director
Email: Quinn.Ryan@scouting.org ; Phone: 847-748-9154
Council Camping & Program Assistant (registration and payment questions)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone: 847-748-9161
Running our high-quality High Adventure program requires a constant supply of new supplies and equipment. Check out our needs list and to see how you can help. If you are interested in volunteer opportunities with any of the High Adventure programs, please contact Barrett Wood.