Adult Leader Programs
The Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan Staff knows our adult leaders take valuable vacation time to bring their scouts to camp and we really appreciate it. For that reason we try to make camp just as exciting and beneficial for our leaders as our campers. There are a number of program opportunities for leaders. Here is a look at a few of them:
Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan Adult Leader Program
Leaders will be introduced to Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan and Scouting through this opportunity to learn new facts and meet new people. The program is voluntary and will be covered in detail at the first Mug Club meeting. Leaders can participate in this enjoyable program and still maintain unit responsibility, while putting their new skills to good use during camp. A score card and instructions will be available. For recognition of successful MAP participation, a $7 collector’s back patch is available, but only when a completed score card is turned in.
When: 9:15 AM daily at each camp office.
This is a chance for units to meet with the Camp Director and Commissioners to ask questions, find out about upcoming events, and to share comments. It is also an informal get together and a great time for adult leaders to get to know each other and learn about how other units are running their program. The Office staff’s will keep you entertained and your mugs full of fresh coffee.
We offer a variety of training programs for Adult leaders to participate in:
- Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster Classroom portion of required training: Stop by the Welcome Center, to see if there is a trainer in camp during your week. The 4-hour class will be scheduled in 2 parts as the trainer is available usually Wednesdays and Thursdays from 2 to 4 PM.
- Venturing Advisors training and Kodiak will be available during Venture Quest (Week 2, July 2-8).
- Safe Swim Defense and Safety Afloat: These certifications are required for leaders to supervise swimming and boating activities year round. Come down to Aquatics and take the course with us! It’s a lot more fun and interactive than taking it online!
- Swimming and Water Rescue & Paddle Craft Safety: These week long courses are offered to give adult leaders the skills to respond to aquatics emergencies and situations. This is a great course for leaders getting ready to take their troops on canoe trips like Boundary Waters.
- Climb On Safely: Get the basics on Climbing. Scoutmasters can sign up with the Climbing Wall Director.
If you have questions about Adult Training, click here to email Felicia Brandt.
New to Scouting? Or just want to brush up on your scout skills? We offer Adult Trailblazer classes for leaders to brush up on their Tenderfoot, Second Class and First Class Skills.
Put a team together and challenge the staff in War Canoe races!
Each Friday during the camp-wide-game, the shooting sports staff invites the scoutmasters down to the range for some friendly competition.
Don’t forget to enjoy all camp has to offer: go swimming, take out a sailboat, shoot shotgun, go to extra programs or just take a nap!