Sign up for Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan
Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan Scout Reservation offers scouts and leaders first class program and facilities. As a camp, we strive to meet your unit’s program needs and pride ourselves on providing customer service that goes beyond your expectations. Troops that visit Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan tend to return year after year and we always have something new for them. Our units find a second home in the Northwoods.
FOR SCOUTS & PARENTS
Your troop/crew/unit should handle registration and provide you with further instructions Your scouting unit should have a designated camp coordinator who’s your go-to person for any registration questions. Of course, our staff would be happy to answer any questions, as well. You can contact them here.
If you can’t make it up to camp the same week as your troop, we recommend attending with one of our provisional camping units (this can also be a great opportunity to spend a second or third week up north). Your Scout can either join our camp’s “Ship 129” which is led by former camp staff and other parent volunteers (Week 2, 4, or 6), or you can make arrangements for your Scout (and parent) to attend with another Troop (Weeks 1-6). To learn more about Provisional Camp, please visit our Provisional Camping page.
Thanks to the wonderful generosity of many Scouters who understand and appreciate the valuable lessons learned through Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan’s Summer Camp Programs, we are proud to offer scholarships, or “camperships” (as they’re often called), to Boy Scouts and Venture Scouts for Summer 2017. These scholarships are financial assistance for Scouts who would not be able to attend one of our Council-sponsored summer camp programs otherwise. The 2017 Boy Scout Scholarships will be available by January, 2017.
FOR TROOP LEADERS
Reserving a Campsite
Hey troop leaders! Your journey to a successful summer at Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan begins with reserving a campsite. You’re better off doing this early, because the sites fill up fast. Below is the link to the campsite chart, with an “As of” date (when it was last updated). This is a continuosly updated Google doc, so you know which sites are still available before completing your site form.
2017 MSR Campsites Reserved Chart (this is a continuously-updated Google Doc)
Each campsite you reserve costs $75 per site, per week. Examples: Blackfoot A and B for Weeks 1 & 2 would cost $300, but for Week 1 only, it would cost $150. Boone A, B, and C for Week 2 would cost $225. NOTE: This is not a deposit. It is strictly a one-time site fee. It can not be reapplied to future years or Scout/Adult Leader Fees, even if you cancel the current year’s site reservation. It is non-refundable, so please only pay for the number of sites you are confident you can fill. Thank you.
Traditional Camp (a weeklong adventure at camp) and High Adventure Treks are offered during the 6 weeks listed.
- Week 1: June 25-July 1, 2017
- Week 2: July 2-8, 2017
- Week 3: July 9-15, 2017
- Week 4: July 16-22, 2017
- Week 5: July 23-29, 2017
- Week 6: July 30-Aug. 5, 2017
Make sure to email Debi once you’ve picked a site, so she can “tentativley reserve” it for you. Also let her know how and when she can expect the completed site form and payment. Here is the 2017 MSR Campsite Reservation Request Form.pdf. Please note that this form is a request, not a guaranteed reservation. We’ll verify your site choices and list your Troop on the “Reserved Sites” chart. But, please be advised we may have to move you around (or pair you with another troop), if your numbers do not match the campsite capacities.
Set an early March Scout Deposit Deadline for your Troop. Why?
- It alerts you to the possibility of needing a bigger (or smaller) site, and gives us the time to find one for you. If a smaller site is needed and you don’t let us know in a timely manner, you may end up having to share your bigger site with another small troop.
- It helps your Troop know how many full-time Adults will be required (who should also be registered online in a timely fashion).
- It allows your Scouts to sign up for merit badges as soon as the MyKaJaWan Sign-Up Form becomes available in the Spring. This is especially important for older Scouts who need “Eagle Required” merit badges. All merit badge sign-up will close a few weeks before Week 1 (for Weeks 1 & 2), a few weeks before Week 3 (for Weeks 3 & 4), and a few weeks before Week 5 (for Weeks 5 & 6). More details later.
- The earlier you register online, the better equipped we will be for camp each week. Help us order the correct amount of food and supplies. We had over 2,500 Scouts (plus several hundred full-time Adults) in 2016 (does not include Trek #s), so we appreciate when Scouts and Adults make their commitments early in the calendar year.
Staying in the Loop
We send out frequent updates to our camp coordinators as the summer approaches. Visit http://www.neic.org/Camping/BoyScoutCampingNews to view these “email blasts” sent to each troop.